Double Star PS3 Clan
Double Star PS3 Clan
Double Star PS3 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[**] Double Star PS3 Clan. Founded by jaco and beertank.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Book Club

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jaco1612
All Round Animal
All Round Animal
jaco1612

Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Book Club   Book Club EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 8:54 am

Look I'm sure this thread will only get 5 posts in it, and then completely disappear, but it seems like a good idea atm!

Just read "Silkroad" as gifted by Aaron.

Fantastic read, really great insight in to Tor, the dark web, pgp encryption and a plethora of other topics I wasn't quite aware of. Do recommend it, and I would be interested in reading something similar with regards to The Pirate Bay.

I'm now reading a history of Asio from its inception until in 1963, seems extremely dry and difficult to read, but it was also a gift, so I'll crawl through it.

I read a stack of scifi, and fantasy too so I am open to discussion!
Back to top Go down
abz
StuckInBathroomPlsHelp
StuckInBathroomPlsHelp
abz

Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Club   Book Club EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 9:25 am

In the last month or so I've finished 2 books.

The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan.

Pretty much focuses on skeptical thinking, critical analysis, critical thinking ect. Talks all about pseudoscience and religion then examines why so many people support pseudoscience and religion. Overall good read, avoids patronizing and is pretty interesting for the most part. Although if you are already pretty aware of pseudoscience and just misinformation in general then it does sort of preach to the choir some of the time.

Cosmos by Carl Sagan

Pretty much just a more in depth version of Carl's very popular tv show Cosmos. Contains a lot of the scientific history (mainly physics and astronomy) of our species, a fair bit of philosophy, a little politics and what was known about the universe at the time (around 1980). Very good read. It's just space and science and shit man.

Since i only just finished Cosmos at work last night, i think i'm going to give 'A Brief history of Time' a read. Got it a while ago but seeing as i just watching Hawking's movie i might as well give the book a read now.

@Jacob - I just got The Martian by Andy Weir because its been getting some decent reviews. If you havent yet heard of it -
"A science fiction novel, the story follows an American astronaut, Mark Watney, as he becomes stranded alone on Mars and must improvise in order to survive. It has been described as an Apollo 13 meets Cast Away."
I haven't read it yet but it sounds sweet! Also just found out it has a movie coming out at the end of the year with big fulla Matty D as the lead and Ridley Scott at the helm, which sounds pretty mad!
Back to top Go down
http://www.doublestarclan.com
jaco1612
All Round Animal
All Round Animal
jaco1612

Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Club   Book Club EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 10:13 am

I haven't read any of Carl Sagan's but it is allegedly very good, may give it a crack after your reviews!

I read the Nature of Space and Time by Stephen Hawkings about 10 years ago, and it was a fucking mega grind at the time, and I really didn't much appreciate it! Much like the first time I read The Silmarillion!

I haven't heard of the Martian, but with Matt and Ridley heading the movie, it must be a killer!
Back to top Go down
beertank23
Double Star Leaders
Double Star Leaders
beertank23

Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Club   Book Club EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 8:45 pm

Anything by Michael Lewis. The big short, moneyball, the blind side etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Lewis

--------------------------------------------------

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content